A while ago someone asked what I did for a living;
Me: I stay home with my boys
She: Oh, so you're just a homemaker. What do you do all day? A housewife... huh...
Me: stunned into speechlessness, oh I try to stay busy... change the subject
My first reaction was anger, just a homemaker. Then my own self-doubt started in...
Is worth measured by what you do for a living? Perhaps in todays society it is, the amount of money and prestige your job earns you dictates who you are to so many.
I'm not what you would call "housewifey". I don't cook well. Dinner is rarely on the table when Bruce gets home from work, usually he makes it when he gets home. I have NEVER darned a pair of socks. I don't own a sewing machine. I took Home Ec in school, and while I didn't flunk I don't remember much. I was more focused on Science and History and French, afterall those were the subjects that were going to get me into a good university and thus get me a good job. I have a diplomas in International Business, I speak 3 languages, I have travelled and lived in another country. I sometimes wonder how I ended up here...
Yesterday my 4 year old informed me that I was the luckiest Mom in the world. When I asked him why he thought that, he informed me that it's because I have him and his brother and I get to stay home and take care of them all day, everyday. Daddy's not so lucky, he has to go to work you know! You're so right little man!
Sunday 6
1 day ago
No comments:
Post a Comment